Raw Apple Cake with Cream Filling
One of my favorite cakes has always been apple cake, preferable with vanilla pudding as filling. Although I now happily pass on any of those ordinary sugar-filled cakes, I still like sweet treats some days, only as long as I don’t have to feel guilty afterwards.This is how this recipe for a raw apple cake was born.
Raw Apple Cake Recipe
It has a lot of sweet flavor and even the pudding feeling in there – without using any sugar, oil, gluten, animal products or baking time. Here is what you need for this healthy raw apple treat:
Crunchy raw cake dough
– 200g raisins
– 100g walnuts
– 100g hazelnuts
1. Put the nuts and raisins in a high bowl and use a hand mixer to blend them into a smooth dough. There can still be bigger pieces left, it gives the mixture the perfect crunch.
2. Press the dough into a baking form as cake base.
Apple and cream filling
– 4 sweet apples
– 3 ripe bananas
– 1 tbsp flaxseeds or chia seeds
– 2 tbsp cashew butter
– 1 tsp cinnamon or 1/2 tsp vanilla
1. Grate the apples coarsely.
2. For the filling put the bananas, cashew butter, flaxseeds and cinnamon into your blender. Add some water to get the blender started and mix everything well.
3. Add the banana cream to the apples and spread the mixture evenly onto the cake base.
4. Let it sit in your fridge for a few hours or over night so that the cake becomes a bit firmer.
– 3 tbsp finely grated nuts
– 2 tbsp grated beetroot
Get as creative as you want with your toppings, maybe you like to add some pieces of persimmons or pears. For example, I used beetroot along with some nuts just because I still had them left from preparing beet-flavoured energy balls before. Turns out it adds the perfect crunch and the mildly sweet flavour of beets goes really well with this apple treat.
Nutritious power of apples
Did you know that apple peel possesses real superpowers? A study showed that it can actually turn on anticancer genes in order to fight them off. So don’t throw this natural medicine away but always include it into your raw apple cake, apple sauce or fruit salad. Read the whole magical story in this review by Dr. Greger.
However, if you should not trust my raw vegan taste buds – this raw apple cake was quite a success on a recent family brunch and those asking for its recipe afterwards were not even plantbased foodies yet.
So I hope you also like this sweet composition and if you tried it yourself let me know your thoughts on this unconventional apple cake creation!